A Quick Guide to Securing Visa Extension in the Philippines

May 09, 2018

Philippines is beyond doubt a country full of surprises. Everywhere you go you’ll find something mesmerizing, be it a picturesque view or a historical landmark. It’s very easy to fall in love with a country that looks unassuming yet actually is prolific. It’s no wonder thousands of visitors from all over the world want to extend their stay here.



Before they add days and places to visit in their itineraries, however, visitors from other countries must obtain the necessary permit to do so. Entering the country is one thing, but extending one’s stay is another. Here are several important things foreign nationals who are planning to extend their stay in the Philippines should keep in mind.


Passports and Visas


Before you even think of traveling to a different country, you must first understand the importance of having a passport and a visa. A passport, as the name suggests, is a license to gain access or cross the country’s borders. Visa, on the other hand, is a document that specifies the reasons why you will be staying in the country and for how long.


As mandated by law and implemented by the Bureau of Immigration, the shortest amount of time a foreign national is allowed to stay in the Philippines, unless circumstances require them to leave the country immediately, is 30 days, particularly if that foreign national is under a Temporary Visitor’s Visa.


Visa Extension


To extend, they can apply for a visa waiver first, which could grant them an additional 29 days of stay. They now have a total of 59 days authorized stay in the country. Considering they want to further extend at this point, they may apply for one month, two months or six (6) months stay at least one week before the 59 days extension ends.


When applying for extensions of stay beyond 59 days, make sure to bring your original passport, a sworn statement of overstaying, and an accomplished application form (TVS-CGAF-VE-2016). You can secure the CGAF from either the Public Information and Assistance Unit (PIAU) at BI or from the official BI Website. Attach all the necessary documents upon submission.


This is, of course, the process if the applicant has no derogatory record. Otherwise, the applicant must proceed to the Verification and Certification Unit for Clearance. This way the government can be sure that noncompliance with the law or agreement with the BI will have appropriate sanctions.


If there are certain issues that encumber the application process, it is best to seek the assistance of a professional lawyer, one that specializes in immigration laws, particularly visa extension in the Philippines. Law firms such as the Yap Law Office can guide you through the process and smooth out all potential sources of delays.




EXTENSION OF STAY, immigration.gov.ph


What is the purpose of a passport and visa for international travel?, travelinsurancereview.net